The Museum of Fulton County
The lobby into the Museum of Fulton County is a recreation of the original county courthouse. The Museum houses special rotating exhibits and a permanent timeline. Based on the 1850 County Motto, “Find a Way or Make Your Own”, the permanent exhibit highlights the stories of former Fulton County men and women. Their stories and the interactive activities encapsulate traits and diverse backgrounds of those who shaped and formed not only Fulton County as well as Northwest Ohio. This timeline leads the visitors on a generational journey to present day while recognizing how history repeats itself and how the visitors themselves fit into this continuum.
Besides this permanent dynamic timeline the Museum has two special exhibits areas. One is located in the center of the exhibit hall and one in the Worthington Room. Check our events page to see what temporary exhibits are presently showing.
The Museum area of the building also houses the Speiss Research Center available by appointment for archival research. Also, available is the Legacy Shop that offers merchandise focusing on Fulton County History with items like books, souvenirs, maps, and other materials- unique gifts that echo the past and present seasons of life and Fulton County.
Plan to visit – you will not be disappointed.
The Fulton County Historical Museum was previously housed in an 1868 Romanesque Revival two-story brick building rich in Fulton County history. The building served as Wauseon's first High School until 1897. In the middle of the 1896-1897 school year, the building had to be condemned because the foundation was sinking. In 1898 the former High School was renovated into a duplex and the Victorian porch was added. In 1903 the Fulton County medical association bought the former High school and from about 1905 until 1930 the building served as Fulton County 's first hospital. In 1945 the former hospital was converted into four apartments. In 1969 the building was donated to the Fulton County Historical Society. Today there are sixteen rooms housing a permanent collection and changing exhibits. It is located at 229 Monroe St. Wauseon, OH. Tours are available by appointment.
The first picture was taken when the building served as Wauseon's First High School 1868-1897. The second picture is how it looks today.
Heman Canfield Log Cabin
The Heman Canfield log Cabin was built in 1838 in Chesterfield Township, Fulton County Ohio. The Canfield's lived in the log cabin for twenty-two years. James and Lydia Breese Deyo purchased the log cabin in 1893 and lived there until James dies in 1931. The last owner of the log cabin was Emmett Lasalle who purchased the log cabin on March 10, 1954 . He lived in the log cabin until November 1976. In 1981 the log cabin was acquired, dismantled, and moved to the Fulton County fairgrounds. The cabin did have electricity before it was moved. Tours are available by appointment.
Reighard Blacksmith Shop
Built in 1861 by Henry Harrison Reighard, the blacksmith shop was located on the corner of Main and Lincoln Streets in Delta, Ohio . His son Rapheal Reighard, later opened the blacksmith shop. A working forge for more than 138 years, it was the last blacksmith shop in Delta. The late Mrs. Rapheal (Ethel) Reighard donated the blacksmith shop to the Fulton County Historical Society, and it was moved to the Fulton County Fairgrounds in 1972. Today the blacksmith shop still remains a working forge, and houses antique tools and other artifacts. The blacksmith shop is housed at the Fulton County fairgrounds where tours are available by appointment.
Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad Depot
The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad Depot was constructed in 1896 on Depot Street in Wauseon,Ohio, when a subdivision of the New York Central Railroad. The current depot replaced the wooden 1854 Southern Michigan & Northern Indiana Railroad Company "Airline" depot at this location. The masonry structure is a fine example of Richardson Romanesque architecture, resembles other New York Central stations in the east, and is listed on the Secretary of the Interior's National Register of Historic Places. In 1957 passenger service ended in Wauseon -- although currently Amtrak still passes the depot each day. The city of Wauseonacquired the building in about 1972. The depot was restored and has been used by the Fulton County Historical Society since 1975 -- housing artifacts relevant to the history of the eight railroads that once
traversed the county. A restored Baltimore & Ohio caboose is also located on this site and available for tours. Model train enthusiasts will enjoy the large "O" gauge working model train display.
The train depot is located on Depot St. in Wauseon, Ohio. For more information call 419-337-7922.
Tours are available by appointment.
Admission: Adults $3 / Seniors $2 / Students $1
The former Lauber Hill Reformed Mennonite Church, located five miles northeast of Archbold, Ohio, was also called the Archbold Reformed Mennonite Church. Organized around 1855, its first church was erected in 1864. Another building was constructed in the early 1870s. For a time, there was a second meetinghouse south of Archbold where services were held once a month for the benefit of those living at a distance from Lauber Hill. It was discontinued when automobiles came into general use.
Today we preserve the history of this beautiful building and the families that rest peacefully there. We are excited to spread more awareness of this historical building to the community.